FEBRUARY 2015

Brrrrrrrr,  it’s chilly!

Frosty pots
Frosty pots look surreal, like rabbits joined together?

A frosty allotment has halted any work and left time to admire how pretty it all looks. Plant pots that were lying around are well and truly iced up. I’ve been having trouble digging up my parsnips and can only attempt it when it’s really dry and not freezing and it’s almost like they are welded into the ground. I’ve now realized that going in sideways is the only answer. Too many times I’ve used a garden fork to lift them and ended up rupturing them. A spade is must to dig a trench adjacent and this, in turn, reveals their huge roots. Then careful brushing away of soil like they were part of an archaeology dig, and a little bit waggling, I’ve finally got them out.

Welded in parsnips test my resolve.
Welded in parsnips test my resolve.
Huge parsnips and tiny brussels.
Huge parsnips and tiny brussels.

Scale has also been evident at the veggie plot. My unbelievably tiny Brussels needed clearing and after I took off all the dead leaves, there were enough for at least a stir-fry. Still harvesting are carrots and leeks although something is nibbling at the carrots and I’m not sure if its rabbits or rats.

I did get to sow some Aquadulce Claudia broad beans after I cleared away the not-so-sprouting broccoli. If only there was a waterproof crop rotation wheel that I can keep at the allotment. I keep forgetting what order the veggies are supposed to go. But then I’ve had another idea and that’s to take a photo on my mobile phone of a rotation plan, then I’ll always have it on me. Genius.

Dry riverbed theme has fluffy hyacinths in bloom now.
Dry riverbed theme has fluffy hyacinths in bloom now.

Back home my dry-river bed feature is blooming well with white hyacinths and delicate little hellebores ‘Verboom Beauty’. So dramatic with black Ophiopogon grass and the slender bright green horsetail stems.

A 'before' photo on a new seating area. Hasn't even got a seat yet...
A ‘before’ photo on a new seating area. Hasn’t even got a seat yet…

 

sawing the legs ready for a treatment on 'end stop'.
sawing the legs ready for a treatment on ‘end stop’.

A new project is underway too and that is to reposition the garden bench to go between two climbing roses so that they create an arch above the seat. Not as straightforward as expected, as the bench legs were rotten and needed sawing off and treated with end-stop. This will be a sunny spring sitting area and I have already but weed suppressant down under the bench and added gravel. I’ve moved some primulas and there are snowdrops in the area. A neighbor has a big bed of crocuses and I am hoping to swop something for a clump. A good ‘before and after’ picture is a must for next month once spring starts picking up.

 

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s

A blog about my gardening exploits to inspire, even if its looking like its all about go wrong. (Which it does, alot)

%d bloggers like this: