A lovely cheesey centered loaf. This is achieved by placing half the mixture in the tin, then a layer of cheese, then fill the tin up with the rest. Top with more cheese. A good strong hard cheese is best, what ever you fancy. I loved this hot, straight from the oven. Even more naughty with butter melting on a slice.
- Prep time; 20 minutes. Cook time 40 minutes
- 12 oz courgettes (about 2 medium cougettes)
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 12 oz flour – all-purpose or gluten free
- 1 tablespoon sugar – granulated
- 1 1/2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1 teaspoon paprika
- 3 large eggs
- 2 1/2 oz olive oil
- 2 tablespoons water
- 1 sprigs thyme – fresh stems removed and leaves minced
- 3 ounces Cheddar cheese cut into 1.25-centimeter cubes
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F (175C). Spread a thin layer of olive oil evenly onto every inner surface of a standard 9″x5″ loaf pan. Dust with flour to coat evenly. This will keep your loaf from sticking to the pan once it’s baked, so make sure you don’t miss any spots. You can also line the inside of your pan with parchment paper.
- Grate the courgette onto a muslin square using the large side of a box grater. Squeeze over a bowl and allow the excess water to drain from the courgette.
- In a large bowl, whisk dry ingredients together: the flour, sugar, baking powder, and paprika together.
- In another bowl, whisk the eggs, olive oil and water together until the mixture has emulsified (combined) and it’s light and frothy. Add the drained courgette and thyme in with the egg mixture and stir to combine.
- Spread half the batter into your prepared loaf pan then add half the cheese. Add the rest of the batter and smooth off the top. Stick the remaining cheese on top, and then place the pan in the oven. Bake until a toothpick comes out clean (about 45 minutes in a convection oven).
- When the courgette bread is done, remove it from the oven and allow it to cool for 10 minutes in the pan, and then transfer it to a wire rack and let it cool completely. But I loved it hot and straight from the oven as the melted cheese was yummy.